New QOOL releasing March 2020
View our latest cancer incidence & mortality reports, view cancer specific reports or search our abstracts & cancer facts
2016 data in OASys
OASys users can now examine outcome measures for cancer in Queensland over years 1982-2016, such as survival across various combinations of demographic and clinical dimensions such as age, residence and cancer.
2016 incidence and mortality data in OASys
New updates in OASys include:
* Cancer in Queensland from 1982 to 2016 is now available by sex, age, residence, cancer type
* Cancer projections up to 2036
* Statistical Areas – Level 2 (SA2), Level 3 (SA3) and Level 4 (SA4)
* A summarised view of cancer statistics in Queensland for incidence, mortality, age standardised rates, relative survival and prevalence
* Download OASys data tables to conduct further analysis on cancer in Queensland
Indigenous status in Queensland
The Queensland Indigenous status (IS) cancer rates have changed compared to the previous rates reported in OASys.
3 different methods for identifying IS were evaluated to improve reporting: original identification, ever identified as Indigenous in any source and multi-stage median (MSM) algorithm as described by Christensen et al (2016) which compares records both within and across datasets.
Incidence, mortality and survival outcomes among the Queensland Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander population were statistically compared across each method. Findings from the analysis resulted in applying the MSM to the OASys data.
The overall cancer incidence rates for Indigenous Queenslander's have increased by almost 50% particularly for melanoma and prostate cancer, and unknown indigenous status rates are very low.
Cancer Alliance Queensland Strategic Plan
At Cancer Alliance Queensland we will continue to focus on the activities and initiatives that will have the greatest impact. To fulfil our mission and make progress toward our long term vision, six success factors have been identified.
- Data Leadership
- Strategic Partnerships
- Community and stakeholder benefit
- Organisational excellence
- Research Impact
The CAQ Strategic Plan outlines how each factor will be actioned to fulfil our mission.